You may doing a lot of online research on nonac careers these days, and have your eye on a job opening or career path that interests you. Trouble is, you’re not sure what the job is actually like beyond the brief descriptions you’ve found online. Before preparing that application, you want a little more info on what the job to know if it’s a good fit for you?
1. What is the aim of this work? Or, put more directly, what is the pain this work seeks to resolve?
2. Who is the customer or client?
3. How is this work funded or financed?
4. What professional associations and conferences do professionals in this area attend?
5. What are the common occupations in this career field, and what’s the hierarchy and relationship between these occupations?
6. What are common entry points into this career or occupation? Based on this information, where would I start given my experience and transferable skills?
7. What are the salary ranges? Yes, PhDs, you want to know how much you can expect to make in this new job and in subsequent positions as you move up. How else will you afford those trips to Whole Foods?
Let me know if there are any questions or details you like to ask when you research new careers and occupations? You can post them below or send them on Twitter.